Pages

Blog Archive

Bliss

Bliss

Saturday, June 28

A contented mind is the greatest blessing a man can enjoy in this world.” ― Joseph Addison


Hello and welcome to my new blog  Life in the Extreme.  Some of you may know that this blog follows on from my previous blog ,  Spanish Steps,  which told the story of our journey from the Sussex Weald to our home here in Extremadura.  

We have now lived in Spain for 3 months and in our house for 8 weeks and as  we are now settled. a bit! iy seems that the stepping part had ended and  I felt it was appropriate to start a new blog.

I expect this blog to be an eclectic mix of  the things that I love and like and  how life is for us  here in Spain, and how we cope in particularly on our small finca.   I will be including the good the bad and the ugly.  Like most things in life I have no idea where it will take me, but it is enjoyable to write and share with others.  I have a passion for crafts and cooking and I will be including these items on here as well.  Share our experiences of learning the language and the joy of making new friends

For those who are here for the first time, I should explain who we are and what we are doing here.

I live here with my husband of  34 yrs.  We have 2 daughters both who live in the UK.  My husband is a retired builder and I am a retired nurse  I say retired, we have not reached retirement age, however at 55 we decided  soon after my husband had a serious back operation, to do something different with our lives and the rest, as they say, is history here we are, living in the most magical place, with the most amazing people.

New beginnings can be exciting but also scary and I suspect that we will have to overcome some daunting and difficult situations.  To be honest, there has been times in the previous 8 weeks when I have felt totally overwhelmed by the situation as we were thrown in at the deep end, discussing solar systems, water supplies etc with limited  Spanish, but we got there, and now 8 weeks in we have the 3 main items on my wish list
  • Electricity -  Solar 
  • Water      -  Borehole  
  • Internet     - Satellite 
For the moment I have a contented mind, and feel truly blessed

However things will be changing and I hope you will join me on the journey.  My next post will be about the area we live and our plans for the Finca.

I must also give thanks to a  friend who came up with the name for my blog,  It is obviously a play on the word Extremadura......... but I would like to think we are a little extreme being here, after all the dictionary states extreme as

ex·treme

  
ad
1.
of a character or kind farthest removed from the ordinary or average: extreme measures.
2.
utmost or exceedingly great in degree: extreme joy.
3.
farthest from the center or middle; outermost; endmost: the extreme limits of a town.
4.
farthest, utmost, or very far in any direction: an object at the extreme point of vision.
5.
exceeding the bounds of moderation: extreme fashions.

I think we fall into one or two of these categories.  As an aside.... my friend, who thought of the name,  writes the most wonderful children s books, a new author have a look at her web site.........Agnils World

I will leave you with a selection of photos from our glorious home

2 comments:

  1. The blog looks lovely, Tanya, and I'm so happy for you! One day, I know I'll be knocking on your door in that beautiful corner of Extremadura. Much luck and love to you both in your new life! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have courage, that's for sure, Tanya! But the area looks exquisite. With that as a start, I'm sure it'll sustain you when you face any sort of difficulty. :-)

    ReplyDelete